Cyber Security in the Remote Work Environment
While some employees are returning back to the traditional office, some employers have found that productivity and employee morale has increased under remote or hybrid work models. Whether teams are strictly virtual or splitting time between home and office, the same security concerns exist. Handling company documents and customer data can come at a major risk if proper precautions are not in place.
YK Communications is no stranger to the topic of cyber security awareness. In fact, we emphasize it every year in October, because it’s Cyber Security Awareness Month. We like to remind all our business and work-from-home internet customers of the precautionary measures they can and should take to keep their data safe.
When people work in an office environment, security awareness is at the forefront of their minds. However, changes in work routines can affect an individual’s cyber security habits.
Employees can stay more cyber secure when working remotely by following these steps:
- When connecting to the company network, use a secure connection. Multi-factor authentication should be configured on the company VPN.
- Do not connect to the company network with any unsecured public Wi-Fi.
- Data and information from the work computer should not be shared with the home computer. If operating systems and browsers on personal computers and mobile devices are not up-to-date, it raises the risk of security vulnerabilities.
- Your computer should be equipped with the latest applications, operating systems, network tools, and internal software. Laptops and computers should be protected against malware and spam by the IT/support team.
- For your laptop, corporate mobile device, and email account, create new passwords that are strong and unique.
- When sharing and storing data in the cloud, only use approved applications.
- Documents with sensitive information should not be stored or printed at home.
The company should issue regular reminders, campaigns, and education related to cyber security awareness. Content might include tips, video walkthroughs, or self-audit checklists. Continual training and simulations keep security awareness at the forefront and reinforce lessons learned.
An organization called SANS Institute offers education and resources on cyber security, including this cyber security awareness work from home deployment kit.
YK Communications is known for being “Next to You. Ahead of Technology.” and keeping you cyber security aware is just another way we do our part. If you need faster, more reliable high-speed internet to power your secure remote work environment, contact our friendly team at 361-771-3334 today! We service the Texas cities of Ganado, El Campo, Louise, Markham, and Danevang.